A middle-aged man's attempts to make his dream come true

This is about my attempts to break through writers' block, which I have been struggling with for the last twenty years or so. But I am not giving up. It has been my dream to earn a living from my pen since I was 13. The dream alters periodically - sometimes I want to write a novel, sometimes a stage play, a radio play, tv play, sitcom, etc. But always a fictional story.
When I was younger, I finished stuff all the time. I marvel now at how I did it. Whole, full-length plays I finished in months, sometimes weeks. It didn't matter what they were like - and some of them were dreadful.
People who don't write fiction might wonder why I bother. It's not as if there aren't great authors already, going all the way back to Homer. But I've had the urge to tell stories for as long as I can remember.
I don't know who you are. If you're just starting out, maybe you could learn from my mistakes, which have been considerable. If you're suffering from writers' block yourself, maybe you can take comfort from the fact that somebody is going through the same thing. And if you're a successful writer who's never suffered from writers' block, maybe you could have a good laugh at my expense.
Writing this makes me feel like Georges Simenon writing a novel in a glass cage, for passers-by to gaze at. But I'm hoping that, as I share my working notes, it will compel me to finish a project. And another, and another, until my work gets through.
Here goes...

Saturday 16 January 2010

Putting up shelves

It's the end of a long, stressful week in my private life, when I thought my marriage was going to end. I made a stupid, careless remark, my wife thought that I couldn't care less about my marriage, and I've spent all this time trying to say sorry. Perversely, my day job - which is normally stressful - became unusually calm, as if to compensate. But the upshot, as far as this blog is concerned, is that I had other things on my mind apart from writing. And when I did pick up my notebook, it was with a feeling of deep guilt.
To be honest, it's been a big problem ever since I got married. Because, when you're a writer, you have to carry a lot of stuff inside your head. You can't share it, at least until the first draft is written. I can't write if my wife is in the room, I have to put my notebooks and pens away. It is a secret, and that's not good.
My wife has never deliberately tried to stop me writing. On the contrary, she bought me an electric typewriter and a desk which she couldn't really afford. But people who don't want to write can't always understand people who can. And surely it borders on mental illness when you're thinking "How will this character react to this problem?" instead of worrying about your finances. But writers don't have the choice.
Incidentally, I made the mistake, a couple of times after I got married, of using things my wife had told me as the basis for stories. Sometimes, your loved ones don't mind "modelling" for you (sometimes, you'll even be approached by people who want to "model" for you, although I would suggest that you avoid those people). But my wife is a private person, and was furious with me.
I was younger, then. I learnt a hard lesson. If I could go back in time...
The only way I can create fictional characters is to first of all think of people whom I know in real life. Sorry, that's the way it is. You can take bits from two or three real people for your fictional character ; but those people need to be pretty similar to each other or the transplants will be rejected. It doesn't matter if you want to create a horrible character, and you base that character on somebody you don't like. But to create a likeable character, you start off thinking about a person whom you like. It's a dilemna.
I'm not the only writer with this problem. In fact, the only happily married writer I can think of is the late, great Jack Rosenthal. I wish I could ask his widow, the actress Maureen Lipman, what their secret was. I wish, too, that someone would write a manual for having a healthy relationship aimed at writers, or perhaps creative people in general.
Is it purely ego which makes us create? And is it any worse than the impulse to cook ? Is the man who thinks he can write worse than the man who thinks he can put up shelves?
Initially, I picked up my notebook again because I thought : Well, if we're getting divorced anyway...The dust has settled now, my wife is talking to me again. If I was sensible, if I had any choice in the matter, I would burn my notebook and concentrate purely on my marriage. Which would probably be happier if I was good at putting up shelves...
But no. The notebook has come out. Sentences have been written down. I need to do this, it goes beyond logic.
************************************************************************************
The trickle has been, for obvious reasons, slow this week, but it is coming. I've felt a renewed enthusiasm for the project. And that means a renewed enthusiasm for life in general. Life is never so good for me as when I've got a project underway, especially when I feel good about the project. I'm a better human being then ; nicer, happier, sometimes verging on intelligent.
I've read back some of my dialogue, and it's not bad (by my standards, anyway). A metaphor has emerged in the writing. I was thinking about certain pop songs. Pop music is a great inspiration for me, and sometimes, as I'm writing a piece, I ask myself : Which song would go over the final credits? What is the "theme tune" of this piece?
I started thinking about The Who's masterpiece I Can See For Miles. On the surface, it's a song about a man who's been betrayed by an unfaithful partner. But actually, it's a coded song (like that Irish folk song Four Green Fields). It's about betrayal in general. It comes to you when you've been sold out by governments and institutions as well.
And it occurred to me that Diana Spencer's funeral was a sort of equivalent to the song I Can See For Miles. The event was coded. That behind the grief was anger - and not just the normal anger you might feel at a loved one's funeral. Anger at EVERYTHING.
So, my character Jackie Platt now has a few lines comparing Diana's funeral to the song I Can See For Miles.

3 comments:

Me said...

I feel for you. Writing's a bitch.

I'm really into novels and especially literary novels. The one I'm working on at the moment has, like you, a main character who is based on someone I know. It's easier to relate and to describe a character that you already sense to know. Don't be ashamed of it. Everyone takes bits and pieces of their reality.

Again, like you, I can't share my ideas with my parents and friends. They don't know I write. I actually hide my (very few) notes in my drawer under a pile of clothes.

Writing is not easy, like you've said. My studies started to take a lot of my time recently and I hadn't put much work into my manuscript. I decided to have my own personnal writing challenge on my blog. It's my own incentive to put time aside for it and making sure I finish it.

Anything that works!

Good luck, don't ever give up. Ever.

Sarah

starvinginhisgarret said...

Dear Sarah,
But when it's going well, you enjoy life more than you ever have.

Me said...

That couldn't be more true ;)